City of Rome Italy

NIE Residency Card and Barcelona, Spain work visas

How to obtain one - NIE for European citizens living in Spain

If you are from the European Union, you can work and live in Barcelona and Spain without needing any visa nor work permit and you no longer need a residency card.

There is, however, a number you need to obtain, in order to access most services in Spain (for example, registering with the Spanish National Health Service, becoming self employed, finding a job, opening a bank account, buying a property). This number is called NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjero) and it corresponds to what for Spanish people is the DNI (their ID number). Also, for foreigners the NIE will be the same as the NIF (the number used for taxation purposes).

How to obtain the NIE

1) Empadronamiento with Barcelona’s City Council. The first thing you need to do, in order to get the NIE, is get the Empadronamiento with Barcelona’s City Council. You need to go to one of the following citizens help offices:

These offices are open from 8.30 to 17.30 except for those with a star, which are open from 8.30 to 14.00.

Learn also about surviving in Barcleona, Spain.

Page 2 - NIE Residency card, Spain (continued)

AdvertiseAdvertise Contact Barcelona Culture
Sports in Barcelona